Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 03 Dec 2012, 12:05 AM Agree 0
OPINION: An insurance broker lauds the rise of Authorised Representatives (ARs) and suggests it is now the best, and perhaps most profitable, way to be a broker. Here is why you should become an AR...
  • Shane | 03 Dec 2012, 11:26 AM Agree 0
    Nice article Robert. I'm an AR with Westcourt and I'd be happy to recommend them (along with the whole AR concept) to any other broker considering going down this path.
  • Craig Mizon | 03 Dec 2012, 12:03 PM Agree 0
    I have been an AR for twenty two years starting off with Brookvale Insurance Brokers (onya Oly), then with Insurance Advisernet (thank you Mr Carr) and now with Westcourts (thanks Jeff). Hardwork never killed anybody and if you truly value what you do as a General Insurance Adviser, then the AR Model is for you. Don't wait for your career to stagnate or be up to your armpits in debt or school fees, do it early and gain the upper hand. You don't have to be an International to be appointed to a significant account. ARs have been appointed to many a prestigious account. Having the support of your licencee and either Austbrokers or Steadfast takes the worry out of it. Make sure the "Systems" and the "Culture" is right for you. Margins by licencee vary greatly and so does the control over your book. Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, but the AR model at Westcourts is best for me.
  • Geoff Thomas - Diford Insurance Bokers | 03 Dec 2012, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    Well spoken Robert, and I agree totally. At a time when many SME operations, and the insuring public in general, are complaining about the lack of quality personalised and truly competent insurance risk management service, the AR model in it's modern and progressive format is the answer to both the smart Insurance Broker and savvy Clients.
  • Stuart Redmond | 03 Dec 2012, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    I too support the article, thank you Robert. Having a past in Corporate and Larger Broking offices, I've been an AR now for approximately 6 years. Last two years have been with Winley Insurance Group. Their strategy as a Licensee is similar to mine as an AR. They are very supportive and know how to assist me with continually developing my business. As an AR, I can now focus on the areas of client education and service, also having the flexibility to change tact quicker than going through the old 'Management Chain'. It's a great way to stay involved in the industry and yet have a life outside of the industry.
  • Karl Tester - North Australian Insurance Brokers | 03 Dec 2012, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    This article is spot on. The second AR model referred to is the only way to go in you are any good at your job.
    I come from the corporate sector and have been an AR now for almost three years with no regrets. I am much better off in every aspect. More good brokers will take up the AR model I am sure.
  • FlinBroker | 03 Dec 2012, 02:54 PM Agree 0
    As a new MGA Insurance Broker AR ,after many years of being in my own business as a broker,I wish I had looked at this years ago. The management ,business model and innovation is progressive and industry leading.
    Our Industry is getting smaller but requirements are getting larger,along with costs and lack of getting good staff.And this is where this model works as they provide the central processing staff,admin backup etc that allows me to get on with what I do best.
  • Luke Phillips - Gardian Insurance Service | 03 Dec 2012, 03:04 PM Agree 0
    I am a QLD AR & Directors of a CAR (Gardian)of Westcourt General. I invested a lot of time in respect to which model I would join and WC is for me. I am 30 now, however started as an AR in 2005 post working for a brokerage. It was the best financial & business move I have ever made. Westcourts IT support in my view is second to none and the fees a more than fair, not to mentioned the profit share AR's recieve from our new funding platform. Be the master of your own destiny and develop your skillset with the support and organisation prowess of an AR Model such as Westcourt's. I don't have children yet, but I know when I do I will work to live and not the other way around.. Thanks Jeff and Jan, Thanks Westcourt.
  • Koert Slik | 03 Dec 2012, 03:32 PM Agree 0
    I also agree with the commentary above.

The AR distribution model in our industry is certainly one of the most significant drivers of evolution we have seen to date.

This model has provided sufficient evidence to suggest it influences distribution, product supply chain management technology and recruitment.

Evolution in distribution, product supply and technology are self evident however, the influence the AR model has on a recruitment model cannot be underestimated.

Staff recruitment and turnover are major expense items for any organisation.

If organisations are not adapting their reward systems (and management structures)for employed sales and service professionals in some way to retain and attract their staff, they will be constantly seeking to replace staff who leave to pursue a career that does.

The AR role provides clear reward for effort and has been attracting individuals from all sectors of our industry from insurers, international brokers, local brokers, claims management organisations and the life insurance sector.

Would a highly skilled sales professional not consider an AR model as a more viable option to being employed?

Imagine an AR repesentative body, that would be an evolution i would think.

• Robert Cooper | 07 Dec 2012, 05:43 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for all the the fantastic positive comments on my article. In answer to Koert, I am hoping NIBA will adapt to the AR model and indeed so far, Dallas Booth has given a lot of positive comments in this direction. I am sure NIBA will recognise how the Broking Industry is evolving these days.
  • Neil | 19 Jan 2016, 12:55 AM Agree 0
    I am aspiring AR. Can anyone advise on what is required to become an AR, as in what is the procedure. If anyone can post any links it will be great.
  • Luke | 19 Jan 2016, 08:28 AM Agree 0
    Hi Neil,

Send me an email at luke@gardian.com.au

I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers.
  • The West Australian Perspective | 27 Jan 2016, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree with all of the comments above and having been an AR for over ten years now I am firmly of the belief that this is the way of the future for our industry, albeit there will always be a need for the big Corporate broking houses to exist for the larger national and Global accounts. The personal service that we can deliver to clients being unencumbered by HO finance restraints remains one of the core reasons why bigger broking firms will lose business to an AR.
    Having worked with both Stuart and Karl in past roles, it is great to hear success stories of the AR model.
Post a reply