Forum

Insurance Business forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Insurance Business | 09 Mar 2016, 08:42 AM Agree 0
Gender inequality continues to be a hot issue in insurance and the wider financial services, is the biggest problem men that can’t see gender-based inequality in their own workplaces?
  • John | 09 Mar 2016, 10:55 AM Agree 0
    This appears to be largely about the most senior executive corporate officers on significant salaries and responsibility, where apparently there can exist a difference of AUD1000,000 in pay for the same role between sexes. This is not about equality it is about having the right person for the position based upon competency and non gendered remuneration. We have by now moved well beyond any argument that a female filling the same executive role would be offered such a vast amount less without merit nor accept it. No information to explain the factual basis as to why 50% of females 'believe' there is no pay equality, period. What are the reasons male executives apparently think otherwise? I support equality however this position is frankly becoming tired, there is utmost parity today and the best person for the role will be paid commensurate for that. If not, weed it out on a case by case basis. Are we seriously suggesting that a new and competent CEO of a company who happens to be female would today be offered and accept so much less compared to the previous male incumbent? With respect, no.
  • Paul | 09 Mar 2016, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    Bah humbug. A tiny fraction of CEO jobs exist in this country. Most people work for SME business as do most insurance brokers. Let's concentrate on what happens there. For example most of the women I have employed wanted to be mothers as part time workers while their children were young. They expected the blokes to work the longer, unpaid hours, chase clients after hours and weekends. Most women were loyal, competent and dependable. I am tired of the over represented tiny minority arguing about these subjects. I paid every person based on the degree of responsibility they shouldered the willingness to go the extra mile. My 2 female account mangers out of 6 were paid in some cases more than the blokes.
  • Olivia | 09 Mar 2016, 07:49 PM Agree 0
    John, with respect, your comment is what we like to call "mansplaining." You know, where a man dismisses the experience of women by telling them their experience is incorrect. While not all women will say they are paid less than their counterparts, there is no causal relationship to demonstrate that it never happens. Fact is, women feel it is happening and that is a perception that needs to be change if, indeed, it isn't actually true. Ask yourself where this perception comes from. Perhaps women talk about what they earn more than men? Perhaps the perception it exists is because it actually does. Perhaps it doesn't, but you ask a good question. I'd also like to know why so many men are so dismissive of the perception women have that wage parity has not yet been met. Why is it that we have to be so questioning when it comes to things we disagree with, yet accept without thought things that support what we do agree with?
  • Lady Broker in Melbourne | 10 Mar 2016, 11:10 AM Agree 0
    Once I requested a pay review due to performance and was told a male colleague deserved to earn more because they had more experience than I did, despite my performing quite significantly better, 2 year's running.
    Please feel free to explain how our equality conversation will improve things of this nature occurring, as clearly a merit based society we are not.
  • Reina | 11 Mar 2016, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    Well said, Olivia! Thank you for articulating that so well.
  • Mitsi | 29 Mar 2016, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    Well said, Paul! Thank you for articulating that so well.
  • Steve | 30 Mar 2016, 08:35 AM Agree 0
    Most modern studies show that after controlling for extraneous factors, there is little statistical difference between male and female compensation across most industries.

To use aggregate income stats without context is useless at best , and mendacious at worst.
Post a reply